Hyedi’s Bump Day Blog, Week 11: The Weekend Wait

By |2016-10-13T17:17:59+00:00January 20th, 2015|11weeks, 1st Trimester, Bump Day Blog|0 Comments

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 10.05.57 AM

I clearly remember our 20 week ultrasound when I was pregnant with our son, Charlie. It was a Wednesday. During that appointment, we learned that we were having a boy, that he was active, that his spine, brain, kidneys and mostly everything else looked perfect, but that his heart didn’t look right. There was, what to the sonographer, looked like fluid in our baby’s chest cavity. We knew that the sonographer couldn’t say much, but we also could tell that whatever it was, or whatever he thought it might be, concerned him. We were told that he’d get in touch with my doctor right away the next day and that we’d likely be referred to see a specialist for a level two ultrasound.

The wait for our doctor to call the next day felt like an eternity. During that time, and against our better judgement, my husband and I Googled what might be wrong with our son, working ourselves up and them calming ourselves down, giving our family members a report (but not a full report) of how our appointment went and then eventually trying our best to get some sleep. Once we talked to my doctor the next morning, we didn’t feel any better. She hadn’t “seen anything like this” and instructed us to make our appointment with the perinatologists. It was late Thursday morning at this point, and I assumed that we probably wouldn’t be able to be seen that same day, but we could make it another night and wait until Friday. I nearly lost it when I was told that the soonest we could be seen was Tuesday. That weekend lasted forever. We did our best to keep busy, but a cloud of waiting and not knowing hung over our heads for the next three days. And fast forward to this past weekend, that cloud (albeit, a smaller one) settled right back over us when we found ourselves waiting some more.

We had decided early on, that in this pregnancy, what would be useful to us was to have as much information about the pregnancy as was available. One of these pieces of information included having a genetic blood test done at around 10 weeks. So after weeks of research and hours on hold with my insurance company, I was finally fairly confident about the amount of the cost we’d be responsible for. So two weeks ago, on a Friday, I had the lab draw done. And after expecting we’d have results a week later this past Friday, we found out we’d have another long weekend ahead of us since my sample was still being analyzed.

Screen Shot 2015-01-17 at 10.00.32 AMNow I’m not a particularly patient person. When I was growing up, my mom would tell me that “waiting is good for you.” But I don’t think when she said that, she would have ever imagined that this type of information is what we’d be waiting for. Waiting is hard. It’s hard whether or not you’ve experienced a loss. I remember before knowing anything was wrong with our son, I was so relieved to get our normal first trimester screening results back. But I wasn’t constantly checking my phone for a missed call or refreshing my patient portal page like I do now. But, like with everything else in this pregnancy, I’m trying to focus on the things I have control over — and this isn’t one of them. So, we wait.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

About the Author:

Hyedi Nelson currently resides in Minnesota with her husband, dog Cole and cat Sam. In her first pregnancy, Hyedi miscarried at 5.5 weeks. After getting pregnant again in December of 2013, Hyedi and her husband grew cautiously more optimistic once they made it to the 5.5 week milestone, and then even more so after the first trimester. At the 20 week anatomy scan, right after they found out they were expecting a boy, the ultrasound technician noticed a spot near their baby’s heart that concerned him. Hyedi and her husband were sent to see specialists the following week for a level II ultrasound where their baby was diagnosed with a pericardial teratoma with a presence of hydrops fetalis. There were few treatment options available. Fetal surgery was initially presented as a possible course of action, but because of the poor outcomes and high risks associated with it, it eventually was no longer recommended. The doctors hoped that their baby would hold on until 32-34 weeks when he could be delivered and then if he were strong enough, he could be operated on at that time to have the tumor removed. But at 29.5 weeks, Hyedi experienced a Premature Rupture of Membranes and was admitted to the hospital to try and keep her pregnant for as long as possible. But later that evening, after a BPP/NST showed that their son’s condition was deteriorating, their son was delivered via C-section. Their son, who they named Charlie, was born on July 3 and passed away peacefully in Hyedi and her husband’s arms 34 minutes later. Hyedi is currently pregnant again and will be documenting her journey, including all of the ups and downs, and everything in between. She also blogs about her journey to living a healthy, balanced life at Finding a Balance.

Leave A Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.